August 9, 2012

A look back...

I don't really know why I feel like sharing this next story, but I do. Hopefully it'll make you laugh a little.

I really hated it back in high school when I played truth or dare on a cross-country bus, at a friend's house, or wherever and somebody asked me for my most embarrassing moment. I knew I had plenty, but I couldn't come up with one when asked. While I'm thinking of it, I'll share one with you!

Here's some background for you: I was smack-dab in the middle of my awkward stage (I believe I was in Jr. High) when I had no idea how to do my hair and make-up or how to dress in normal clothes. I was a really shy, not-so-secure girl who had been thrown from Elementary school to the building that held Jr. Highers and high schoolers. I was pretty confident in the classroom, but the hallways were a different story. I felt pretty out of place at football and basketball games too. However, the one social event that I really enjoyed with my friends were stake teen dances. We got together and giggled and stole glances at cute boys. It's at one of these dances that my moment takes place.

I had a crush on this boy who was my friend's sister's husband's little brother. If that's not a secure connection, I don't know what is. Anyway, I saw him at one of these dances and immediately informed my friend, Jillian. 
"Go talk to him then."
"I can't!"
"Why not?"
"I don't know, what would I say?"
"I don't know, just go say hi."
"Ok....No, I can't"
"Ok, fine."
.....
"Ok I will!"

Deep breath, shoulders back, pretty smile, aaaand march!
"Hi!"
"Hey, how's it going?"
"Good....How have you been?"
"Good."
"Good."



"So, how's school going?"
     *School?! Really Taj? You're asking about school?
"Fine, you?"
"Fine."



"Well, I'm gonna go talk to my friend over there, but you'll have to save me a dance later."
"OK!!!"
     *Whoa there, be cool.

I ran back to my possy and told Jillian the great news. She told me some things that had happened in my absence and we commenced the giggling. The night went on and I kept looking over at him, wondering which song he would ask me to dance. Good sport that he was, he kept his word and made his way to me on a slow song. We started dancing and I couldn't really seem to hold eye contact for more than a split second, much less come up with anything to say. He said a few things, but I only had one word responses to any of them.

After one of many long silences, he said, "You're hands are cold."

Here's my moment. Now that I look back, there's really not much I could reply with other than "Oh," or "Yup," or "Better than sweaty," but what do I say?

Drum roll please.

"Yeah, I have low blood pressure."

Ba dum pshhhhhhhh

I'm sure he was quite relieved when the last note of that song played over the speakers. I, on the other hand, couldn't contain my excitement that I'd just danced with him and I ran to the coat closet to get my inhaler.
Just kidding.
The best part about this embarassing moment is I wasn't even embarassed at the time. It took me a few years to realize what I'd said wasn't all that smooth. I was so awkward, I didn't even know I was awkward!

Does low blood pressure even make your hands cold?

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahaha. <-- That's me laughing for reals. Heh. Teen dances. I love that you posted this.

    ReplyDelete