September 27, 2012

Well, we're all settled in Oklahoma. It didn't take too long, though, considering we didn't bring a whole lot. I am enjoying living simply. I do miss having a couch, but camp chairs will do just fine for now. (:

Here are some things I've learned about Oklahoma.

*Fantastic lightning storms. No wonder they call themselves the Oklahoma City Thunder.
*On that note, it can really rain here. Tom and I walked through a river of a parking lot last night...which was really fun. And I mean that, there's no sarcasm intended.
*No dirt, just clay.
*No mountains. :(
*Really nice people.
*A sonic, 7/11, and McDonald's on just about every corner.
*Road construction all the time. Makes for scary driving.

We really do like it here. Sometimes I wish we had more time to see the sights. We did visit the botanical gardens and they were really pretty. (Tom took some pictures with his phone, so visit his facebook page to see them.) Most of the time, though, we are doing homework or Tom is on shift and I'm doing homework. It's a good thing Emmitt keeps me company when Tom's gone, or I would get so bored!
***
I just did a photo update last time, but I left out a few things. We celebrated our 1st anniversary on September 2nd! We were on the road, so we ended up eating a late night meal at IHOP. Ain't nothin' better!

Our apartment complex has a pool! We took advantage of it for a week or so, but the season turned to Fall really quick. 

Speaking of Fall, I'm making Emmitt a lion costume for Halloween and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm afraid I'm going to finish it early and make him wear it more than once. Good thing he doesn't care. 
***
Tom is really loving his paramedic internship. Talking to the other students here, I think he really lucked out with the people he was assigned to work with. His preceptor (Paramedic term for the medic on the ambulance), Blair, found out Emmitt didn't have a bassinet and he let us have his baby's old one along with a bouncer. It has been sooooo nice! On top of that, Blair takes Tom to work every day, which saves us about an hour of driving and lets me have the car. So Blair's basically awesome.
As far as what Tom sees on the ambulance, most of the calls are far from emergency status. It's a little discouraging to see how many people just want to milk the system. He sees a lot of drugs and alcohol. He does do a lot of good, though. There are emergency calls where they are badly needed and I'm so grateful for people like Tom who study emergency medical and can handle these situations.
***
Well, here are some more photos. Guess who!
Took his shots like a champ











Sorry, I couldn't rotate it.


This picture cracks me up. Captions, anyone?


I like these guys. I can't believe how tiny Emmitt is!
 
In his new bouncer

That's all for now!





4 comments:

  1. He's so cute! I haven't seen much of him but I'm so happy for you and your new life. I'm making a lion costume for our little Josh too. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Taja, so Steve and I lived in Oklahoma for a summer and I laughed so hard when you said "A sonic, 7/11, and McDonald's on just about every corner...it is SO true!!! haha! also the rain/thunder storms there are amazing. Idaho rain storms are nothing compared with those. Wish you luck on your new adventure! Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taja I just love your cute little family! You are guys are the best and I am in love with your baby! I miss you so much, next time you are headed this way. look me up! And we should definatly chat sometime soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taja, I just wanted you to know how cute Emmitt is! I love his little smile in the picture that is not rotated. Also your comment about the sonic and such was too funny, Jordan and I had a talk about that and the midwest not too long ago and how crazy it is!

    ReplyDelete